- Tell me about Cane River Pecan Company.
The Regard Family (of New Iberia, Louisiana) began farming pecans along the scenic Cane River (located in Natchitoches Parish) in 1969 after brothers Dan and Joe Regard bought 2,000 acres of farm land that included pecan orchards. In 1982, Dan opened a small seasonal retail store in the city of Natchitoches on historic Front Street to sell their pecans direct from the orchard. During the late 1980’s, Dan’s wife, Margie Regard, started a corporate mail-order division of the company by the same name (Cane River Pecan Company) and began offering gourmet pecans to companies for use as distinctive corporate and executive business gifts. Since that time, the company has grown from offering only natural mammoth pecan halves to a full line of gourmet flavored pecans, a customizable logo gift tin program and a variety of pecan specialties, like creamy pralines, chocolate chunk pecan cookies, pecan straws and pecan cooking oil.
Today, Cane River Pecan Company is one of the premiere gourmet pecan providers in the southern United States. The company maintains thousands of corporate accounts nationwide, and services executive clients found in a variety of industries, such as: oil and gas, agriculture, energy services, natural resources, law, insurance, contracting, engineering, commercial banking, wealth management, healthcare, commercial property management, distribution, dealer networks and hospitality.
Cane River Pecan Company is also a reliable, year-round provider of fresh, all-natural pecans to professional chefs, home cooks and foodies alike. The company has made the selection of gourmet pecans easy by offering a small, curated line of all-natural mammoth and junior mammoth halves, along with medium cut, recipe-ready pecan pieces. Any three products can be used as key pecan ingredients that you can trust with any recipe – from five-star-rated restaurants right down to your treasured family pecan pie.
- Is the Cane River Pecan Company related in any way to Cane River in Natchitoches, Louisiana?
Yes. The Cane River Pecan Company got its start along the scenic Cane River in Natchitoches. Our pecan orchards were originally planted on the banks of Cane River – not far from the famed Melrose Plantation. Years later, the Regard family opened a seasonal retail store on Front Street in the historical district of the city of Natchitoches. The retail store was closed in the 1990’s, but retail, mail order and internet sales continue to thrive from our New Iberia, Louisiana facility (the hometown of the Regard Family).
- Can you handle corporate orders?
Corporate orders are our specialty! Our company was founded on servicing companies of all sizes with a variety of gifting needs, including:
- Corporate gratitude
- Holiday gifting
- New business development
- Customer retention
- Employee appreciation
- Team building
- Client recognition
- Professional recruitment
- Industry trade shows
- Customer loyalty programs
- Referral services
- Corporate prospecting
- Can I just order one product?
Yes. Traditionally, we have been a business-to-business provider of corporate pecan gifts. But, of course, we have no problem offering small quantities of products (or just one-of-something) if that is what you need. We have many customers who only need one tin of pecans or perhaps one box of pecans for baking. Feel free to contact us, whatever your pecan needs may be.
- Can you order year around?
Yes. We fulfill orders all year long! There is no telling when a customer needs to ship a quick thank you gift or even a reliable prospect a package of pecans. Or, perhaps you’re making the family favorite pecan pie in the summer – don’t worry, we have you covered for all of your pecan needs. And, even though it is more expensive for us to ship chocolate products in the summer, we will do it. Be sure to ask about necessary upcharges for chocolate products in the spring and summer.
- How does the ordering process work?
First, you select the gift products that your company desires, based on your company budget and the amount of gifts you will need. Pick a date you wish to have us ship your gifts. You have the choice of having Cane River Pecan Company ship the products to your desired recipients, to you for distribution or we can accommodate a combination of both, it’s that simple.
- How do you handle large gift lists?
Because of the size and scope of our corporate gifting services we know first-hand what it is like to help companies manage their ever-changing list of gift recipients. That is why we created a custom Excel spreadsheet that can be emailed to our clients to help organize their list of recipients, the gifts they wish to ship and the custom greeting they wish to include with each gift. These gift lists are also archived, so we can send the old list back to you for additions, deletions or general edits for years to come. It is super simple and saves a lot of valuable time.
- Are your pecans a product of the USA?
Yes. Our pecans are grown fresh in the Deep South (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida) where they receive a heavy dose of natural rainfall and an abundance of southern sunshine. We find that the best pecans in the world are grown here, in the southeast region of the United States, where optimal growing conditions lead to healthier pecans with high oil content, which is directly tied to a superior tasting pecan.
- If I am buying Cane River pecan gifts from out-of-state, do we pay taxes on the order?
No, you don’t pay taxes if purchasing from outside the state of Louisiana and we are shipping to you or your recipients to an out-of-state location. However, if you are purchasing from an out-of-state location and you decide to pick up your products at our New Iberia, Louisiana location then you will be entitled to pay both Louisiana State and Iberia Parish taxes. If you purchase from inside the State of Louisiana, but outside Iberia Parish, then you are only charged state taxes.
- What is your most popular pecan gift?
By far, the Pecan Trio Assortment (item number 801), is our runaway best seller! The “Trio,” as we refer to it, covers all of the basics; it features our most popular milk-chocolate covered pecans, our sweet and crunchy praline coated pecans and our savory roasted and salted pecans. It’s a can’t-miss pecan gift.
The custom logo gift tin is a close second-choice gift. Companies love to promote their brand and position their logo when and where they can, and our custom gift tins give them that opportunity. If you want immediate information on the custom gift tin program, please call us direct, toll-free, at 888-365-4136 and one of our trained customer service reps will gladly walk you through the simple two-step process.
- Why does Cane River Pecan Company only offer two different varieties and sizes of natural pecans?
There are well over 350 known varieties of pecans. We have decided to make this very easy for our customers. So many years ago, we curated a very small collection of great-tasting pecans that consist of just two varieties – mammoth Desirable pecans and junior mammoth Elliott pecans. We feel like these two varieties are simply the very best so why complicate matters? We also offer medium-sized and recipe-ready cut pecan pieces as a part of our small collection of natural pecan choices.
- What is the difference between a Mammoth pecan half and an Elliott pecan half?
A mammoth half refers to the graded “size” of a pecan half. Our mammoth halves are normally of the Desirable variety. Mammoth is the largest graded-size pecan half on the market. It takes roughly 150 to 200 mammoth pecan halves to make up a pound of pecans. An Elliott half refers to a certain “variety” of pecan. Elliott pecans are considered “Junior mammoth” halves and graded so, where it takes 275 to 300 junior mammoth pecan halves to make up a pound of pecans.
- Can you tell me more about the pecan variety "Desirable?"
The Desirable is one of the first pecan varieties developed from a controlled cross in the early 20th century in Mississippi. It is one of the largest pecan varieties grown, with a medium-thick soft shell that stands up well to mechanical harvesting and shelling. The tree also grows large, making it a wonderful shade tree. It is in high demand and used routinely in the gift pecan market because of their impressive, showy size. The pecan has outstanding flavor, superior coloring and is considered the best pecan for roasting and salting. Cane River Pecan Company uses the Desirable variety almost exclusively as our gift pecan of choice. From a farming perspective, the Desirable variety is liked by pecan farmers for their ability to produce consistent high-quality crops year after year, it’s known as a reliable producer. However, the variety is highly susceptible to the scab pecan disease and as a result can be a terrible choice for the home grower.
- Can you tell me more about the pecan variety "Elliott?"
The Elliott pecan is one of the most flavorful specialty pecan varieties on the market, due to its high oil content that leads directly to its superior taste. It was first discovered in the panhandle of Florida in the 1912 and quickly became a favorite of growers in the Deep South. This specialty pecan is distinctly round, with a teardrop shape that yields a beautiful oval pecan half. The variety is known as being scab-resistant, drought tolerant and good for home cultivation and subsequent yard crops. The pecan shells exceptionally well and stays very true to its size. However, it is also known to be slow to bear and not a very heavy producer. The variety is not recommended for planting in areas subject to late spring freezes. And, the variety is known to bear alternatively, which does not make it a consistent cultivar year over year. As a result, Elliott’s can be a hard nut to find, but they are certainly an easy nut to love.
- Tell me about the custom logo gift tin program.
Business is fierce out there, and many companies today rely on brand awareness to drive their message or stay relevant in their customer’s mind. Cane River Pecan Company understands this need and developed a way to put a company’s good name on our gourmet pecans. We offer two sizes of gift tins that can be customized with a simple one color logo or a complex, four-color processed photo featuring company logos, headquarters, business partners or product spotlights. We can be as creative with custom tin art as the art submitted. Companies send the art, we send them a proof to approve. Once the proof is approved, they pick the product and we ship it for them. They sit back and field the compliments. It’s that easy.
- Can companies include their own customized holiday cards or business cards in pecan gift shipments?
Yes. If a company wants to ship us their own holiday cards or employee business cards, we can easily include them in gift tin shipments. We can also create a free gift card to go into any gift package we ship. All the company needs to do is provide us with the message they wish to include.
- Do we have the ability to customize an assortment of products that you offer?
Yes. If you would like to make your own assortment of products that we offer into a collection we can do that for you. Simply tell us what you want to group together, we will then provide you with a quote. Once we have the gift assortment you want we will ship it for you.
- What are your shipping rates?
Our shipping table is a sliding scale table based on the value of an order being shipped to one address. Our standard shipping method is ground shipping; we use both the United States Postal Service and UPS for all ground shipping. We also offer a “second day” shipping service and an expedited “next day air” shipping service for $50.00 more than the standard ground shipping rate.
We will ship to any PO Box (Post Office Box), APO Box (Army Post Office) and FPO Box (Fleet Post Office). APO Boxes are for Army and Air Force installations, while FPO Boxes are for Navy installations and ships. When it comes to APO and FPO Boxes there are also three military “states” where mail can be sent; “AA” (Armed Forces of the America’s), “AE” (Armed Forces Europe), and “AP” (Armed Forces Pacific).
We will ship to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or any other U.S. territory for an additional $10 charge to the standard ground shipping rate. We will ship to any international destination as well, but first a company must call our offices for a shipping quote.
Please click here to see our current shipping rates.
- What are your shipping options?
We can ship all of your pecan gifts to each individual recipient, or we can ship all of your pecan gifts to your location or various branch locations – or we can ship the pecan gifts to a combination of recipients and/or corporate locations. Or, you can pick up any part of your order at our New Iberia, Louisiana facility and save on the shipping. The bottom line is this; we are extremely flexible when it comes to shipping and your fulfillment needs. We will accommodate any shipping scenario you might have. We are here to make your gifting procedures easy and burden free.
- Can we pick up our products at your Louisiana warehouse location?
Yes. We are located at 1415 Easy Street in New Iberia, Louisiana. You can pick up your entire order here or just a portion of it if you are having us ship the rest.
Yes. Because South Louisiana is known for its global oil and gas service industry we have been relied on to ship our gourmet gift tins over the entire world. Shipping overseas is not a problem for us. And we should mention that receiving pecans overseas is a rare and special treat, since pecans are extremely difficult to find in most places outside of the United States. A shipping quote will be needed if wishing to ship pecan gifts overseas.
- Will you ship to PO, APO and FPO Boxes?
- Yes, we can ship to PO Boxes and military boxes (APO and FPO) as well.
- Can you share some gifting suggestions?
We have created a Corporate Gift Guide that you can find in our catalog and online. This gift guide was created for one reason – to make your gift giving selection process easy and efficient. Look closely and you will see that our gifts are broken down by price so companies can get a quick idea of what gifts fit their budget and needs.
- Do you offer volume discounts?
We will begin to consider volume discounts if the order begins to exceed 500 gifts. If and when that is the case please call the offices to discuss options.
- What are our payment options?
We accept Master Card, Visa, Discover and American Express credit cards. We also take corporate checks and in some circumstances will even offer terms on payment.
- Do you offer greeting cards?
With each pecan gift we offer a FREE greeting card with any corporate message they desire. The card is large and will accommodate over 80 words. If a company chooses, we can even place a custom greeting or holiday card of theirs in the pecan gift.
- Once I have received pecans, what is the best way to handle/store them?
Pecans, like other fruits and nuts, will go rancid over time. Due to a pecan’s high oil content, they can be prone to spoilage if not stored properly. Roasted pecans and candied pecans (like our Praline or Chocolate Covered Pecans) are even more prone to rancidity as they have been subjected to very high temperatures during the cooking process. After you have received a shipment of pecans it is always best to take what you plan to consume and then pack the remainder in an airtight container and place in your freezer. Any airtight container, like a zip-lock bag or Tupperware container, will work perfectly. However, here is some additional information about storage of natural pecans (halves or pieces):
- At room temperature (around 70 degrees Fahrenheit), natural pecans will usually last about 20 days or so. If the pecans are placed in a sealed, airtight container they could last closer to 45 days.
- In a refrigerator (around 34 degrees Fahrenheit), natural pecans stored in an airtight container can last 9 to 10 months.
- In a freezer (at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or lower), natural pecans stored in an airtight container for 18 months to 2 years should easily retain their freshness.
Pecans can be thawed and re-frozen numerous times if you remember to temper them, thaw them in the refrigerator and avoid warm temperatures. Please note, the high oil content in pecans can make them prone to absorbing odors from other products stored around them.
- What is the expected shelf life of Cane River’s flavored pecans like milk chocolate covered, white chocolate covered, honey glazed, praline coated or roasted and salted pecans?
On average, our milk chocolate, white chocolate covered pecans, honey glazed and praline coated pecans have a four-month shelf life when stored at room temperature (they have a better shelf life if refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container). On average, our roasted and salted pecans have a two month shelf life when stored at room temperature (they have a better shelf life if refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container.)
- When is the harvest season for pecans?
Pecans are generally harvested from October through December here in the U.S. (There is also harvesting of pecans in South Africa from April to July.) Anytime you purchase pecans after December, you are essentially buying pecans that were harvested the fall before and, in many cases, when buying pecans in grocery stores you might be buying pecans up to two years old!
- Why should companies gift pecans?
Pecans are revered in the Deep South and downright cherished in other parts of the country during the fall. Because the pecan harvest coincides with a fall lineup of favorite American holidays, pecans are a natural fit when it comes to gifting. Companies embrace traditional gifts, gifts that have broad appeal and are associated with luxury. Pecans easily fall into these categories. Not only do pecans top the ingredient list of many holiday favorites, they can easily stand on their own as well - right out of the shell, as natural as they come. Pecans are celebrated for their sweet buttery taste and known for their heart healthy attributes. But more than anything, a great pecan is still hard to find, so when it is discovered and given it is truly appreciated, and that is why companies like giving Cane River pecans – their customers realize our pecans are special and appreciate it.
- When is National Pecan Month and why then?
National Pecan Month is the month of April. We are sure it has to do with the fact that pecans are not only popular in the fall, during their harvest period, but as a year-around flavor enhancer. April is a great time to introduce pecans into family recipes during spring and summer holidays like Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and the Fourth of July. National Pecan Day is April 14, so if you want to go all-out, that is one date to keep in mind!
- What are the benefits of doing business with Cane River Pecan Company? (Ten good reasons)
- We are experts. The Cane River Pecan Company has been entrenched in the corporate gift giving industry for over 48 years. We know and understand, precisely, what companies need and want when it comes to their gifting needs. We also have a 48-plus year relationship with gourmet pecans. First and foremost we were pecan growers. Pecans are what we know, thoroughly. When it comes to our knowledge of corporate gifting and our established position within the pecan industry we can say, with confidence, we are experts.
- Trust. Companies have come to trust us implicitly with their gifting services. They know that we only ship the very best, in-season, gift pecans on the market. They know that our flavored pecans and pecan specialties are made with the most sublime ingredients. And they know that our gourmet pecan gifts will represent the best of their corporate gifting intentions.
- Saving time means saving money. Cane River recognizes that companies need to get on with their business. They need a partner that appreciates that saving time is, in fact, saving money. We save companies time with the gifting process because we take so much of the burden off of their employees tasked with the job of orchestrating the gifting process. If we know how many gifts a company wishes to send and what their budget is we can take it safely from there, and see to it that the gifting is done correctly, on time and on budget.
- Award winning packaging.Cane River has a wide variety of packaging options and all of them are award winning, literally. Over the years Cane River has garnered many awards on their packaging all in an effort to make our customers look magnificent. We understand that our pecan gifts are going to your clients. We need to make you look good. And that is exactly what companies will look like when choosing our distinctive array of gifts. We view ourselves as a brand extension of your business.
- Value.When it comes to a luxury consumable product like gourmet pecans, we offer value. Our gourmet pecans are carefully selected and packaged ensuring that all of our customers are getting the finest pecans on the market that season. Our mammoth halves are the largest and freshest in the industry. Our Elliott pecans are as great tasting as they are rare and hard to find. Our candy coated pecans are made with recipes that are family treasures. Nothing is more important to us than the quality of the products we ship.
- Customer Service. We need to be careful here because we feel that this term gets thrown around too often with empty promises. At Cane River, we take the customer service experience extremely serious and will do what is necessary to service companies professionally and efficiently using great care and respect. We know that gifting is an extension of a company’s relationship and their reputation, and we have serious consideration and reverence for that relationship. That is why we will always go above and beyond to service a corporation’s needs.
- Reputation. In the Deep South our company is known as the go-to source for corporate pecan gifts. We have rooted ourselves in corporate culture by anchoring ourselves in the business-to-business gifting service. We understand implicitly how corporate gifting can play a critical role in strategic, goal-oriented business growth.
- We understand relationships. We know that relationships matter. We understand the role a relationship plays when two people are doing business with one another. We understand the importance of doing business with people you know, respect and appreciate. Gifting helps build relationships. Being recognized, being thanked, being linked to a company’s success is important, rewarding and can cultivate and reinforce stronger relationships. Appreciating a great relationship can begin and end with thoughtful gourmet pecan gifts.
- Authenticity. We are an authentic, real, passionate, American pecan company. Cane River is family-owned and family-operated by people who grew up in southern pecan orchards. We love pecans dearly and use them routinely in our daily lives. We love the sight of a manicured pecan orchard or the aroma of a family meal featuring fresh pecans. We love pecan season and a table of holiday treats stuffed with tasty pecans. We love the life and relationships that have been fostered from our involvement within the pecan industry. And mostly, we love the stories of pecans and how families have gathered to share pecan-related traditions. Our relationship with pecans is sincere and authentic.
- 100% satisfaction. It’s our guarantee. As you would expect with a product of such superior quality, your satisfaction and that of your gift recipients is 100% guaranteed. No hassles. No red tape. You must be pleased, it is our guarantee.
Corporate experience with a southern pecan touch: “As the CNO of this company, I have combined my executive experience in corporate America with a life-long involvement in a family pecan business to build Cane River Pecan Company. I know, first hand, what it is like to create and maintain successful and meaningful corporate relationships, ones that lead to perpetual business opportunities. I also know that along the way, a thoughtful gift or a perfectly timed favor is always welcomed and appreciated and could lead to favorable light being shone on you, when you may need it most. “
- Jady Regard, CNO, Cane River Pecan Company
** Beware: Cane River Pecan Company gourmet nut products are produced and packaged in facilities where peanuts other tree nuts are being handled.