Crab Cakes with Pecan Butter Sauce
- 12 tablespoon butter (4 crab cakes, 8 butter sauce)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (1 crab cakes, 1/2 butter sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2/8 teaspoon hot sauce (1/8 crab cake, 1/8 butter sauce)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 2 cup finely crushed buttery crackers such as Ritz or Escort
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 dash dried marjoram leaves
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Makes 6 Servings
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, salt, cayenne, hot sauce, baking powder, egg, 1 cup of the crushed crackers and the crabmeat in a large mixing bowl. Add the onions and bell peppers and mix gently. Form the mixture into 6 plump cakes and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Remove the cakes from the refrigerator and dredge them in the remaining crushed crackers to coat evenly.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crab cakes, 2 at a time, and fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm drizzled with the butter sauce.
Pecan Butter Sauce
Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the green onions and the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the salt, hot sauce, marjoram, lemon juice and pecans, and cook, whisking for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Recommended side dish:
Click here to see Pecan Bread Dressing side dish.