Cream of Potato and Pecan Soup
- 8 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cup milk
- 1 cup peeled and cubed red-skinned potatoes
- 2 cup pecan meal
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 dash salt and hot sauce to taste
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped green onions (green part only)
- 1 loaf french bread for serving
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Add the milk, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the potatoes, pecan meal and garlic, and season with salt and hot sauce.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the salt, hot sauce and nutmeg. Gradually add the cream, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley and green onions.
Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately with hot French bread.