Baked Curried Nuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoon powdered allspice
- 6 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 lb oatmeal (not instant), finely ground in a food processor
- 4 egg whites
- 1 lb pecan or walnut halves, or a combination of both
Makes 1 1/2 pounds
Mix the sugar with the spices, then add the oatmeal. Lightly beat the egg whites in a separate bowl. Place the nuts, a few handfuls at a time in the egg whites, then strain in a fine-mesh sieve.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Roll the nuts in the sugar-oatmeal mixture. Place them on a baking sheet. Repeat the process until all of the nuts are used.
Bake at 200 degrees in the lower part of the oven for 2 1/2 hours. Cool before serving. The nuts may be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.