- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 5 medium-size sweet red apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- vanilla ice cream for serving
During the fall when apples are at their peak, this is a delightful dessert to serve warm from the oven and topped with a scoop or two of ice cream. The aroma as it bakes is wonderful!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x11-inch baking pan and set aside.
Combine the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, butter and pecans in a large mixing bowl and mix well to blend.
Toss the apples with the lemon juice to coat evenly. Arrange the apples in the prepared pan and cover with the crumble mixture.
Bake until the crust is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minute before serving with ice cream.