Ashley Roussel's Carrot Pecan Pesto
- 1 lb small carrots with tops (any color; variety preferred)
- 2 lb mixture of other root veg, including parsnips, beets, turnips, etc.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Garlic clove
- 3 tablespoon Cane River pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (can be removed to make vegan)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim carrot tops, leaving some stem attached. Measure out 2 cups carrot tops, and set aside; reserve any remaining carrot tops.
Toss veggies and vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 15-25 minutes. Let cool.
For pesto, pulse garlic and nuts in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Add basil, Parmesan and reserved carrot tops; process until a coarse puree forms. Add olive oil, and pulse until combined; season with salt and pepper.
Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface; chill. Veggies can be roasted 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.