Jeremy Conner's Grilled Peach Salad with Shiso and Roasted Pecans
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Cane River Elliott pecan halves
- 2 pinches Cellar Salt Co. Gulf of Mexico Finishing Salt
- 10 large Shiso leaves (available in green and purple varieties in most Asian market
- 2 peaches, slightly underripe, pitted and sliced into 24 wedges
Special Equipment: Cast iron skillet, gas/charcoal grill (or cast iron grill pan)
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water and sugar. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar, then remove from heat and set it aside.
Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the pecan halves and roast in the skillet, stirring constantly. When the pecans begin to brown, add 2 pinches of the sea salt and stir to coat. Remove the nuts from the skillet. Set aside.
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill or heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Place the peach slices directly on the grill and cook them for about two minutes on each of the flat sides -- just until grill marks begin to form. Remove the peaches from the grill and allow to cool.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the grilled peach slices and roasted pecans. Pour the syrup mixture into the bowl. Add the Shiso leaves to the bowl. Toss the mixture lightly and serve with a slotted spoon.