Olivia Regard's Ginger Crinkles with Smoked Pecan Sugar
- 2/3 cup pecan oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Steen's Molasses
- 2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Smoked pecan sugar (substitutes: turbinado or granulated sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix pecan oil and sugar with whisk. Beat egg in a separate bowl, and stir into pecan oil-sugar mixture.
3. Stir in molasses. Sift flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and ground ginger into the wet ingredients. Mix until blended.
4. Scoop dough with a cookie scoop (I use a 1 1/2 tbsp/ 2-inch scoop), or use a small spoon. With your hands, roll dough gently into balls.
5. Coat rolled dough in smoked pecan sugar, and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
6. Bake 15 minutes for chewy cookies and up to 17 minutes if you prefer your cookies crunchy.
NOTE: Dough freezes well. There are two options: freeze as a mass of dough in a freezer-safe bag or container. When ready to bake, thaw the dough, scoop into balls and roll in sugar. Bake as directed.
Alternatively, scoop dough into balls, and flash freeze the dough on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Once dough balls are slightly frozen and will not stick to each other, transfer dough to freezer-safe storage bag. Finally, roll frozen dough in sugar, and bake. You will need to increase baking time slightly if baking frozen dough.